Culpeper, Virginia (circa 1938)
McPherson Design Group provided contract documents for the renovation of this 1938 theater (originally called Pitts Theatre until 1973), which was placed on both the State and National Registers of Historic Places in May 2008. The design included constructing a new stage with a modern fly loft, new stage left wing space, a new loading dock and receiving area, new dressing rooms, new bathrooms, new mechanical and electrical rooms, and a new elevator. The majority of these renovations were part of an addition to the existing theater. After proper funding and upon completion of the restoration of the movie house and construction of the annex, the State Theatre will operate as the community's cultural center, presenting a wide array of programming to appeal to all elements of the growing and changing population, not only of Culpeper, but also of the surrounding community.